Monday, August 22, 2011

Reusable Snack Bags

I know, I know, these have been out for a while, but for some reason I'm just finding them now. I think they are so cute and I love how it helps the environment plus my wallet! I spent one evening reading up on what type of fabric to use or not use. There were a lot of different views on what was safe and what wasn't. So I decided to try a plastic I knew was food safe. Ziploc. I wasn't sure how the plastic bag was going to sew, and am still unsure how long it will last attached to the fabric. (I'll keep you updated.) I used a sandwich size bag and used its measurements to decide how big to cut my outer cotton fabric. It's a little big just for snacks to send to school, but it was the only size plastic bag I had. I think I will make a few with both sides cotton since I only send dry food to school anyway.


My son sure liked it and couldn't wait to show it off to his dad. The outer fabric is something (I think Transportation collection) by Michael Miller. It was left over from James' birthday quilt when he turned 1. Has anyone else made snack bags? What fabrics do you use? I'd love to hear how you make them.

3 comments:

  1. I made snack bags from oilcloth that I had leftover after I made a table cloth but oilcloth is expensive. Maybe you could use the plastic from a freezer bag and it will last longer. It's just slippery to sew. I might try that myself! www.jamesandleighann.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made any yet due my inability to figure out what fabric to use. I refuse to let vinyl into my home, so oilcloth was definitely out! For the meantime I'm just washing out stackable Rubbermade containers (they're just too bulky!)

    I'm very interested to hear about how your bags hold up. If they last, I'm going to copy you. After all, copying is the best form of flattery isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! I researched how to do this too, just haven't gotten around to it. Namely, I bought nylon to complete mine. But later I saw some people had BPA-free nylon and I didn't know if mine was, so I never did one... have you heard anything about nylon??

    ReplyDelete