Thursday, May 12, 2011

Kids Clothes Week Challenge-Day 4

So it's day 4 of the challenge and I have a finished garment! The first day I spent washing, drying, and cutting fabric. I also spent a few hours figuring out how to use elastic thread. I tell ya, when I get ready for a new project I go all in. I decided to make a shirred dress out of knit fabric. Have I used elastic thread before? Nope. Have I sewed with knits before? Nope. So why did I choose to do two things I've never done before? I could say it's because I'm crazy, but really that's what sewing is all about for me. Learning new tricks and becoming better. Don't get me wrong. It's nice to stay in my comfort zone, but when I venture out and have success, it feels great!

I used Dana's Summer Vacation Dress pattern. I didn't get the shirring I wanted at first, but a quick spray with water and some steam scrunched it right up.  I ended up having to trim an inch off the width of the dress to make it fit. Overall, I'm happy with the dress and want to try making the shortie version of the pattern.

Getting ready for a Louisiana summer!


I also finished a head band using the bow pattern from the bow tie. I put elastic around the bottom to keep it on. Next time I will taper the main part of the bow, it's a little too wide for my daughter's head.
Not a great photo, but you get the idea.

Here's to finishing up the week strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment